8 Unbelievable Freak Accidents

1. Pedestrian is left with a fractured skull after a runaway TYRE strikes him on the back of the head

Getty Images
A pedestrian was left with a fractured chest and skull when he face-planted into the ground after a runaway tyre hit him on the back of the head.

Roberto Carlos Fernandes, 50, was walking along the pavement with his wife in Ipatinga, Brazil, when the loose tyre came speeding towards him.

It had just come off a vehicle on the opposite side of the dual-carriageway - and careered over two reservations towards the couple.

It bounced several times before smashing into the back of his head - face-planting him into the hard concrete.

CCTV footage of the the accident viewed from a local shop was published by journalist Gil Souza.

He said that Mr Fernandes was taken to hospital with a fractured chest and a fractured skull but was now stable and 'feeling much better'.

He added: 'Witnesses said that the vehicle was carrying a trailer and the tyre came loose form the axles on the back of that.

'This was a freak accident where the wheel struck him at the exact moment where his head was.'

2. Bell-ringer survives freak accident at Worcester Cathedral

Getty Images
 A bell-ringer who was hoisted in the air before crashing to the ground after catching his foot in a bell rope has described the moment he found himself being flipped upside down.

Ian Bowman was visiting Worcester Cathedral on Saturday evening accompanied by 20 other campanologists when he suffered the freak accident that left him with a fractured bone in his back.

The 51-year-old said the incident took place in a matter of seconds when he was hoisted a couple of feet in the air before hitting the marble floor of the belltower of 13th-century place of worship. He was eventually winched down 80ft from the bell tower to the church floor on a spinal board by firefighters who had to open several trapdoors and use a rope system during the Evensong service. He was taken to Worcestershire royal hospital where he was treated for a cut to his head and back pain.

A mechanic by profession, Bowman is still able to walk and speaking from his home in Widecombe-in-the-Moor, Devon, he said: “We were raising the tenor bell, which takes two people, and the rope caught my heel. It pulled me up in the air and I came crashing down on the floor with a big bang.”

Pictures of the rescue were posted on Twitter by the fire crew, which included a specialist rope team, who Bowman thanked as well as the paramedics who attended to him.

Bowman said his injury was “pretty painful”, adding: “It was just an accident – these things do happen sometimes in life.” He said: “There were 20 of us there ringing. The rope went round my ankle and it took me from standing to upside down in seconds. It just flicked me upside down – that’s what did the damage.”

The Devonian ringers had travelled to Worcester to ring for the hour-long service, which started at about 4.30pm.

The cathedral’s bell tower contains 16 bells, including a bourdon bell, which together weighs in at 16 tonnes – the fifth heaviest ring in the world.

3. Dog walker, 53, dies after pooches send him tumbling down stairs in Brooklyn building

Getty Images
 A professional dog walker died after he was overpowered by two of his client’s pooches in Brooklyn on Thursday, police sources said.

The 53-year-old man, whose name has not been released, tumbled down stairs to his death inside a Red Hook apartment building, cops said.

He went to his client’s second floor apartment on Carroll St. near Van Brunt St. at about 5:20 p.m. to pick up two dogs, law enforcement sources said.

The man lost control of the animals, and was either pushed or knocked down the steps, cop sources said.

He died on the scene, and the city medical examiner’s office will determine his cause of death, police said.

The dogs were returned to their owners Thursday night.

A couple who answered the door at the Red Hook apartment declined to comment Thursday night, as a dog inside barked once in the background.

4. Farmer survives five hours stuck in boggy swamp with nose just above water

Getty Images
 A farmer survived five hours with his nose barely above water level after his excavator slid into a boggy swamp.

Daniel Miller was riding his machine on his property when the edge of a dam gave way and a bar on the three-tonne excavator pinned him down.

The 45-year-old said he struck a yoga pose, arching his back for air, until a neighbour heard him shouting 500 metres away.

“I was trapped and had to keep my head up above water using my arms, I guess it was the cobra position,” he told Sydney's Daily Telegraph.

“I'm not a yogi but I guess you could say yoga saved my life. That and the will to live.”

His wife Saimaa praised her husband’s resilience after the freak accident in Charlotte Bay, around 180 miles north of Sydney on Tuesday afternoon.

She wrote on Facebook: “It was literally sheer mental strength and determination to survive that got him through. As well as being fit, strong and healthy.

“[It had] nothing to do with luck. Legendary effort from a legendary man.”

In 2015, an Italian boy survived being trapped under water for 42 minutes, and a man was last year trapped under piles of Chedder and Red Leicester cheese for eight hours.

5. Weiser man dies after "freak accident" with a deer

Getty Images
 WASHINGTON COUNTY, ID - A Weiser man has died following a Wednesday night encounter with a deer, according to the Washington County Sheriff’s Office.

The incident happened around 8 p.m. on a farm along Weiser River Road.

According to Washington County Sheriff’s Office Chief Deputy Cody Strong, several deer had come down from high country to feed on hay near a barn on the property.

Willian Woo, 58, who lived on the farm with his parents, came around a corner of the barn and apparently startled the animals. “One of the deer reared up, causing the man to fall,” Strong said, but it is unclear if the animals or its hooves came in contact with the man.

Woo’s foster father, who was nearby at the time, chased the deer away and called police.

Paramedics transported Woo to the Weiser Memorial Hospital, where he later died.

The cause of death is not being released for medical privacy reasons, Strong said.

“This was definitely a freak accident,” he added. “I’ve done this job for 21 years, and I’ve never seen anything like this.”

6. Florida man claims dog shot sleeping girlfriend

Getty Images
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - The old journalism adage is that "dog bites man" isn't a story, but "man bites dog" is. Nobody however said anything about "dog shoots woman."

According to a Jacksonville Sheriff's Office incident report, a man told police that his dog shot his girlfriend in the leg.

The incident happened late Tuesday night at a home on Patuou Drive West in the Herlong neighborhood on the city's West Side.

Police said a man and a woman were sleeping when they were woken up by the man's dog, Diesel.

The man told officers that he got up to let the dog outside, and when they came back inside, Diesel walked back into the dark bedroom where the man's girlfriend was still sleeping.

The man then saw a "flash and a bang" -- it's believed that the dog jumped up on the nightstand, causing a Springfield XD40 to discharge, according to the report.

The 25-year-old woman was hit in the leg. She was taken to Orange Park Medical Center with non-life-threatening injuries.

The woman told police that she didn't know how it happened. She said she was sleeping and was awakened by a throbbing pain in her leg.

Neighbors said they were left confused by the freak accident. Donald Hanlon has lived on Patou Drive West for 35 years, and he said Tuesday night was the most commotion that the neighborhood has ever seen.

"Lights, sirens, big commotion -- I just wanted to know what was going on. I was just weirded out by the entire street being taped off and what the crime scene unit was doing," Hanlon said. "I was just overwhelmed by the commotion and come to find out that something like that happened."

News4Jax, KSAT 12's sister station, went to the home across the street from Hanlon's house, where the incident happened, but no one came to the door.

Neighbors, including Hanlon, said they feel like it was an accident.

"I think, either way, there was a weapon involved," Hanlon said. "I don't think it was intentional, but I don't think the dog could do it."

The dog’s owner does have a child, but the child was not at home at the time, News4Jax was told.

The JSO report obtained Wednesday is purely an information report. News4Jax crime and safety analyst Gil Smith said it's possible that officers will continue the investigation by testing the gun, for example, to see if it's possible the dog could have fired the weapon accidentally.

Smith wasn't surprised by the case, saying, "stranger things have happened."

7. Doorman dies after freak accident while shoveling snow

Getty Images
A doorman shoveling the steps at his Upper East Side building died Thursday in a freak accident – when he slipped while shoveling snow, tumbled down the stairs and had his throat slit as his head crashed through a window, police said.

Longtime doorman – Miguel Gonzalez, 59 who was planning to retire soon – was clearing the stairs leading from the sidewalk to the basement lobby entrance of 333 East 93rd St. when he lost his footing around 9:30 a.m.

The impact shattered the left window pane and left a pool of blood at the bottom of the steps.

Gonzalez, who suffered deep cuts to his neck and face, was rushed to Metropolitan Hospital, but couldn’t be saved. He was pronounced dead at 10:27 a.m.

Mike Gacevic, 54, a maintenance worker at the building next door, was also cleaning snow when he heard Gonzalez’s co-worker call for help.

“He said, ‘Please help, my coworker fell down,’” Gacevic said. “I just saw him bleeding on the floor… his neck was cut a lot…he fell through the glass.”

Gacevic called Gonzalez, a married father who lived in Connecticut, “the best.”

At a snow briefing Thursday, Mayor de Blasio called the tragedy, “a very, very sad situation,” adding that “it’s another reminder to people – be very careful when you are shoveling.”

A woman who lives in the 6-story building caught the aftermath of the fall and said “It was terrible,” before she became too distraught to speak.

Miguel Modesta, 29, a building worker who works directly across the street and knows Gonzalez well, said he ran over to the scene when he saw ambulances arrive.

“He was a really nice guy. A good man. I just can’t believe it,” Modesta said of Gonzalez, a Bridgeport, resident.

“I just saw him this morning,” Modesta said.

Another building worker from across the street, who would only identify himself as Wendell, 35, said he was shoveling snow alongside Modesta when first responders arrived.

“We were told that he fell…all the way down and through the glass,” said Wendell, who described Gonzalez as “a very nice guy.”

“He was a great guy. Always said good morning to everybody. He was always joking around. He was very jovial,” Wendell said. “Everybody in the neighborhood loved him. If he was going to the store he’d buy you a coffee. This is a big shock. And it’s so sad because he was close to retiring.”

Wendell said that Gonzalez, who worked at the building for about 20 years, often talked about retiring soon.

“He was always cracking jokes. He is always upbeat. This is a major tragedy for the whole neighborhood. We need more people like him,” he said.

Modesta added that Gonzalez was the type of guy to buy breakfast for other building workers on the block.

Neighbor Denice Rich, 65, a real estate agent who lives on the E. 93rd Street block described Gonzalez as “the most friendly, sweetest, positive, happiest man…He always had a smile on his face.”

“He cared a lot for his family and he cared a lot for the people in the neighborhood. He was really genuine,” she said. “The sweetest man and a very hard worker.”

Hector Figueroa, the president of 32BJ Service Employees International Union – the union Gonzalez was a member of – expressed his condolences on Gonzalez’s passing.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with his wife and children and all those who knew and cared about him, including his coworkers and the residents of his building,” Figueroa said in a statement.

“Our union family will do all we can to support Miguel’s family in this difficult time. Our thoughts and prayers also go out to all members working hard to keep us safe during this blizzard and every day.”

8. 26-yr-old biker decapitated in freak accident

Getty Images

NAVI MUMBAI: In a freak accident on the Mumbai-Goa Highway on Thursday, a 26-year-old biker was decapitated when he rode into an electrical cable that had snapped and got entangled with a truck passing in the opposite direction.

"Sangameshwar resident Mayur Devrukhkar, who works in an automobile showroom in Chiplun, was riding from Ratnagiri to his workplace. At Pimplewadi, a guard wire of the 22KV high-tension overhead electrical cable snapped and got entangled with the truck plying from Chiplun to Sawarde. Devrukhkar's head got cut from the body as he rode through the wire," said Sawarde assistant police inspector SA Ingole.

"An accidental death report has been filed. The MSEDCL officials concerned will be booked for negligence causing death," Ingole added.

Following the incident, traffic movement on the Mumbai-Goa Highway was shut for over half an hour.

0 Response to "8 Unbelievable Freak Accidents"

Post a Comment

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel