Dermatographia is one of the most common skin diseases experienced by children and young adults, especially those who are suffering from other skin diseases such as dermatitis.
When scratched, the skin of dermatographia sufferers will experience line-like swelling like biduran which can sometimes itch. Certain temperatures also have the potential to aggravate this condition, for example cold or hot air. Likewise with dry air or too hot water.
These symptoms generally disappear after 30 minutes without special treatment. But if it does not heal or get worse, it is recommended to see a doctor.
Are You Know : What Is Askin Tumor?
The causes behind this skin disease are not known exactly, but there are several factors that are thought to increase the risk of dermatographia. Some of them are:
- Allergic reactions, such as due to friction of clothing.
- Scratched skin, for example because it is scratched.
- Certain infections.
- Drugs, for example penicillin.
- Sports that cause skin friction, such as wrestling.
Dermatographia is an incurable condition. The goal of treatment is to relieve the symptoms experienced by the patient. If after some time the swelling of the skin does not disappear on its own, the doctor will give antihistamine drugs, such as diphenhydramine , fexofenadine , or cetirizine . Antihistamines work by inhibiting histamine production in the body.
There are several ways we can do to prevent or relieve dermatographia symptoms, including:
- Avoid things that can cause irritation to the skin. For example, wearing clothes with rough material, using soap with harsh chemicals, or soaking in too hot water.
- Don't scratch the skin.
- Overcoming stress by exercising regularly, getting enough sleep, and relaxing your mind.
- Always keep skin moist.
- Use an air humidifier when the air condition in the room is too dry.