Elton John Cancels Concerts After ‘Potentially Deadly’ Infection

Elton John has canceled a series of concerts after contracting a “rare and potentially deadly” bacterial infection while touring in South America.

“During his return flight home from Santiago, Chile, he became violently ill,” Mr. John’s representative said in a statement. The singer, who turned 70 in March, spent two nights in intensive care at a hospital in Britain.

He was released on Saturday, and is resting at home.

He said on Twitter on Tuesday that he was looking forward to touring again.

“Thankfully, Elton’s medical team identified this quickly and treated it successfully,” his representative said. “He is expected to make a full and complete recovery.”

The canceled concerts include the entire run of his “Million Dollar Piano” show at the Colosseum at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas, as well as a performance in Bakersfield, Calif., on May 6.

Mr. John was hospitalized with appendicitis in 2013, had a respiratory infection in 2012, and was forced to cancel shows after a serious case of E. coli infection and the flu in 2009.

“I am so fortunate to have the most incredible and loyal fans and apologize for disappointing them,” Mr. John said in the statement. “I am extremely grateful to the medical team for their excellence in looking after me so well.”

The singer of hits including “Tiny Dancer” and “Rocket Man” is expected to return to the stage on June 3, at Twickenham Stadium in the London area.

Elton John performing at Radio City Music Hall in New York in March last year. Credit Mike Segar/Reuters



Elton John cancels shows after being hospitalized due to rare infection

Elton John has canceled all of his Vegas performances through next month due to an illness that forced him to be hospitalized, it was announced on Monday.

His entire performance schedule for the upcoming April/May run of "The Million Dollar Piano" at the Colosseum at Caesars Palace was canceled, as was his scheduled performance for Bakersfield, California, on May 6.

According to the statement from Rogers and Cowan, after his South American tour, John contracted a bacterial infection, and became "violently ill" on his flight home from Chile. He was admitted to the hospital when he returned home to the U.K., and spent two nights in intensive care.

He was released from the hospital on Saturday, and is now "comfortably resting at home per doctor's advice." He is expected to make a full recovery, and is set to resume performing in Twickenham, England, on June 3.

"I am so fortunate to have the most incredible and loyal fans and apologise for disappointing them. I am extremely grateful to the medical team for their excellence in looking after me so well," said John in a statement.


Sir Elton suffered 'potentially deadly' infection on tour

Sir Elton John suffered a "potentially deadly" bacterial infection during a tour, forcing him to spend two nights in intensive care and cancel concerts in the US, his management says.

The singer became violently ill at the end of a tour of South America last week, requiring him to return to the UK for urgent treatment.

Nine concerts that were due to be staged in Las Vegas and California over the next two weeks have been cancelled.
Sir Elton is now resting at home.

A statement by his management said infections of the kind suffered by the star were "rare and potentially deadly". It gave no other details.

"Thankfully, Elton's medical team identified this quickly and treated it successfully. He is expected to make a full and complete recovery," it added.

Sir Elton is due to resume his schedule of live performances in the UK on 3 June.

"I am so fortunate to have the most incredible and loyal fans and apologise for disappointing them. I am extremely grateful to the medical team for their excellence in looking after me so well," the star said.
His Million Dollar Piano tour is due to end its run in May 2018.

It is not the first time Sir Elton has battled a serious bout of ill-health.

Appendicitis operation
While performing his show The Million Dollar Piano at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas, Nevada in May 2012, Sir Elton became ill with a serious respiratory infection. Following his doctor's recommendation, he cancelled the show's last four concerts.

In July 2013, he had to cancel a concert in London's Hyde Park when he was diagnosed with appendicitis, which required urgent surgery.

"I knew I was sick but I didn't know I had such a dangerous thing inside of me until I had a scan, which was after nine shows, 24 flights and a summer ball. I could have easily died," he later said in an interview with The Telegraph.

Various organisations have tweeted get well messages to Sir Elton, including American Idol, This Morning and BPI Music, which wrote: "Dear Sir @eltonofficial we're sorry to hear you've been unwell but so happy you are on the mend, and we wish you a full & speedy recovery."

The career of Sir Elton spans five decades and has been littered with accolades, hit singles and world records.

The 70-year-old singer has sold more than 200 million records, making him one of the most successful artists of all time.

0 Response to "Elton John Cancels Concerts After ‘Potentially Deadly’ Infection"