Samsung says Galaxy Note 7 report coming soon

Samsung is ready to move on from its Galaxy Note 7 debacle and isn't shying away from new products at CES 2017. Most notably, a new Chromebook Plus and Chromebook Pro are in the pipeline from the South Korean tech giant.

Samsung says it will reveal its findings from a probe into the Galaxy Note 7, "very soon," after it was recalled and discontinued when it caught fire in several instances around the globe in fall 2016.

"As you know, this year was a challenging year for Samsung. Some of you were directly impacted and many of you certainly saw the media coverage." Tim Baxter, president and chief operating officer of Samsung Electronics America, said at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas on Wednesday. "We continue our intensive efforts to understand what happened."

"Very soon we will be sharing ... the report on the Galaxy Note 7," he added. "Despite our setbacks, we have not, nor will we, stop innovating. In fact we've made significant strides in the US."

We have reached out to Samsung in hopes of learning more specifics. Earlier media reports noted Samsung is close to sharing findings from its probe.

While the Galaxy Note 7 report will be closely watched, Samsung continued to roll out its products at CES.

Past the washers and monster television sets, Samsung announced its next duo of Chromebooks: the Samsung Chromebook Plus and Chromebook Pro.

Samsung's Chromebooks were made with help from Google, and Google Play Store will come installed with Android app support out of the box. Both feature a 360-degree rotating touchscreen, built-in stylus, Quad HD 2400x1600 resolution display, 4GB of RAM, and 32GB of storage.

The Plus version features an ARM processor, while the Pro packs a beefier Intel Core M3 processor.

The Chromebook Plus will be priced at $449 and will go on sale February 12. It's not clear what the more expensive Pro model will be priced at, though Samsung said it will be available later in the spring.


Sarah Tew/CNET

Samsung to share Galaxy Note 7 investigation report ‘very soon’

It’s been a few months already since Samsung was forced to announce the first Galaxy Note 7 recall, an unprecedented move from the company. But Samsung has not shared any details as to why the phone exploded even after “safe” replacement units were given to buyers in exchange for faulty fire-prone models. Samsung said a few months ago that a report on the matter will be available by the end of 2016. That deadline moved to the end of January recently. But, at CES 2017, Samsung said it’ll finally explain what happened “very soon.”

The problem is very serious, and customers deserve to know why the Galaxy Note 7 turned out to be a ticking time bomb in their pockets. Apparently, Samsung is in agreement of that.

“As you know, this year was a challenging year for Samsung. Some of you were directly impacted, and some certainly saw the media coverage especially about the Note 7,” President and COO of Samsung Electronics America Tim Baxter said during Samsung’s CES 2017 press event. “We continue our intensive efforts internally and with third party experts to understand what happened and to make sure that it does not happen again.”

He added that Samsung will share the root cause report on the Galaxy S7 “very soon,” SamMobile explains.

Samsung probably didn’t want the Galaxy Note 7 report to ruin its CES 2017 show. But that report is finalized, according to various sources. A Korean site claimed earlier this week that the Samsung subsidiary that made Galaxy Note 7 batteries will also supply batteries for the incoming Galaxy S8. This indicates that Samsung does not believe that a battery flaw was responsible for the many Galaxy Note 7 explosions that hit the news before and after the first recall procedure.

A few days ago, a source said that Samsung’s findings could be shared as soon as January 10th or by the end of the month at the latest.


CES: Samsung faces up to Note 7 recall, promises root-cause report ‘very soon’

LAS VEGAS — Opening its news conference here at CES this afternoon, Samsung didn’t shy away from the company’s biggest news story of the year: the recall of the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 phone after the devices were determined to be susceptible to burning.

“As you know, this year was a challenging year for Samsung. Some of you were directly impacted and certainly many saw the media coverage, especially about the Note 7,” said Tim Baxter, president and COO of Samsung Electronics America, opening the event.

He added, “We continue our intensive efforts internally and with third-party experts to understand what happened and to make sure it does not happen again, and very soon we will be sharing the root cause report on the Note 7. Despite our setbacks, we have not, nor will we, stop innovating.”

Baxter cited U.S. market share gains by Samsung in areas including TVs, home appliances, wearables, and “most notably the fast-growing phablet category,” which included the Note 7.

Stay tuned for more from the Samsung event, and watch the live stream here.


0 Response to "Samsung says Galaxy Note 7 report coming soon"