Our partnership with the United Way gives us an opportunity to fulfill our most important company mission: help taxpayers in the communities where we live and work, said Heather Watts, vice president and digital products general manager at H&R Block. As H&R Block is approaching preparing 725 million tax returns, we're proud to reach even more taxpayers to help them safely prepare and file accurate tax returns that get them the maximum refund they are entitled.
H&R Block and United Way have been providing free tax filing services online for federal and state taxes in all 50 states and the District of Columbia for eight years. Since that time, the partnership has helped more than 750,000 million taxpayers claim every deduction and credit they deserve. These tax breaks that lead to refunds provide important opportunities for individuals and families to build their financial stability.
When it comes to security and protecting client data, H&R Block is among the industry leaders. Itâs online filing platform contains:
- Encryption technology that helps safeguard sensitive information
- Several layers of authentication for H&R Block account access which further protects from unauthorized access
- Secure connection established between clients browser and H&R Block servers, encrypting any data that is passed between them to protect the privacy of that data
Eligibility and features
Taxpayers earning less than $64,000 can enter their data through MyFreeTaxes.com, which links to a secure H&R Block website, making it easy to complete their taxes from home, at work or on mobile devices.
Among the exclusive features of MyFreeTaxes include:
- Free, unlimited, personalized real-time chat with a tax professional or by calling 1-855-MY-TX-HELP. The helpline, with operators that speak both English and Spanish, operates from January 13 through April 18 from 10:00 am to 10:00 pm EST Monday through Friday and noon to 9:00 pm EST on Saturday
- Refund RevealTM will show them how and why their refund amount is changing
- MyFreeTaxes is promoted by United Way, and users can contact their local United Way for other local resources, or find ways to volunteer and further support their community
- Advanced functionality for those working in the gig economy or need guidance on real estate investments, stock options or inheritance taxes
About H&R Block
H&R Block, Inc. (NYSE:NYSE:HRB) is a global consumer tax services provider. Tax return preparation services are provided by professional tax prepares in approximately 12,000 company-owned and franchise retail tax offices worldwide, and through H&R Block tax software products for the DIY consumer. H&R Block also offers adjacent Tax Plus products and services. In fiscal 2016, H&R Block had annual revenues of over $3 billion with 23.2 million tax returns prepared worldwide.
About United Way Worldwide
United Way fights for the health, education and financial stability of every person in every community. Supported by 2.8 million volunteers, 9.8 million donors worldwide, and more than $4.7 billion raised every year, United Way is the world's largest privately-funded nonprofit. We're engaged in nearly 1,800 communities across more than 40 countries and territories worldwide to create sustainable solutions to the challenges facing our communities. United Way partners include global, national and local businesses, nonprofits, government, civic and faith-based organizations, along with educators, labor leaders, health providers, senior citizens, students and more.